We all have a love hate relationship with exercising and just fitness in general because it takes so much dedication and effort to keep up a fitness regimen. Even though it is difficult to maintain a fitness regimen there are so many benefits of regular exercise. Below are 5 benefits of exercise:
5 Benefits of Exercise
- Helps You Sleep: If you are struggling to fall asleep or stay asleep all night regular physical activity can help you fall asleep faster and give you better quality sleep. Try not to exercise too close to bed time because it will cause you to be hyper to fall asleep. The effects of working out may not have an immediate effect on sleep but a study in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine found that it can take up to four months for those beginning an exercise routine to have a positive effect on sleep.
- Controls Your Weight: Exercise can help prevent excess weight gain and can help maintain weight loss results. When you engage in some type of physical activity, you burn calories. The more intense your workout is, the more calories you burn. You don’t need to set aside a large amount of time for exercise to see weight loss benefits. If you don’t have time for an actual workout, get more active throughout the day by taking the stairs instead of the elevator or going for a walk outside during your lunch hour at work.
- Slows The Aging Process: Who doesn’t want younger looking skin? Exercise doesn’t just make you feel younger it can actually turn off the aging process in your chromosomes. It has to do with the compound structure telomere. Telomeres are the caps at the end of chromosomes that control aging. Telomeres get shorter as we grow older. Studies have found a link between regular exercise and the lengthening of the telomeres. This suggests that exercise can slow down the hands of time and give you a greater chance at living longer.
- Makes You Happier: I’m sure you wish you could feel happy all the time. A workout at the gym, a brisk 30 minute walk around the neighborhood, or a workout out video on YouTube can help. Physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals like endorphins (I call it the happy chemical) that may cause you to feel happier and more relaxed. When you exercise regularly, you may also feel better about your appearance and yourself, which can boost your confidence and improve your self-esteem.
- Improves Your Sex Life: Are you always feeling lazy in bed or feel too self conscience and out of shape to enjoy physical intimacy? Regular exercise can leave you full of energy and looking better, which may have a positive effect on your sex life. Who wouldn’t want to jump into bed when they look and feel amazing. But wait there is more. Regular exercise can lead to enhanced arousal for women. Men who exercise regularly are less likely to have problems “getting it up” than are men who don’t exercise at all.
Taking some time out of your day to exercise is very important if you want to experience these benefits and many more in your life. Grab your friends and family and get started today! Let me know in the comments below if you have a exercise regimen.